You may have some form of tile in your home, whether in the kitchen, bathroom, or entryway. And while tiles are an excellent flooring option for their durability and aesthetic appeal, keeping them neat and well-maintained can be challenging.
That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive guide to help you navigate the different types of floor tiles and the best way to clean them at home. Throughout this blog post, we’ll cover every tile from ceramic and porcelain to marble and natural stone.
How to Clean Floor Tile of All Types?
Just as you wouldn’t use a cleaning product meant for an enamel surface on a stainless-steel refrigerator, it’s essential to understand that different types of floor tiles in India require specific care. While tile floors are typically quite long-lasting, each type has unique features and cleaning needs.
For instance, ceramic and porcelain floor tiles are somewhat low maintenance, while coarse tiles, such as the ones made of slate, marble, granite, or limestone demand specialised care and usually require specific cleaners. By using the right cleaning methods and products for your respective tile type, you can keep your floors looking their best and extend their lifespan.
How to Clean Floor Tile Made of Ceramic and Porcelain?
Ceramic and porcelain floor tiles are famous flooring options for their durability and low maintenance. Washing them is generally easy and can be done with a few simple steps:
- Sweep or vacuum the floor to release any loose dirt or debris.
- Mix a solution of warm water and a mild detergent, such as dish soap or a pH-neutral cleaner.
- Mop the floor with the cleaning solution using a soft mop or microfiber cloth.
- Rinse the floor with clean water to clear any remaining soap residue.
- Dry the floor with a clean mop or towel to prevent water spots.
You can use a specialised tile cleaner or a mixture of baking soda and water to make a paste for stubborn stains. Apply the paste to the stain, let it sit for a few minutes, then scrub gently with a soft brush before rinsing and drying the area.
It’s important to avoid using abrasive or acidic cleaners, such as bleach or vinegar, on ceramic and porcelain tiles as they can damage the surface. Additionally, avoid using a steam mop, as the high heat and moisture can cause the grout to loosen and the tiles to crack. By following these simple cleaning tips, you can keep your ceramic and porcelain floor tiles looking clean and new for years to come.
How to Clean Tile Floors Made of Stone?
While washing natural stone tile floors, such as marble, slate, or granite, you can follow similar steps as porcelain and ceramic tiles, but with a few precautions:
Firstly, use a soft-bristled broom when mopping natural stone tiles since they are more inclined to scratch than ceramic and porcelain tiles.
Secondly, using the right type of cleaner for your floor type is crucial. For instance, slate and marble tiles are exposed to acidic cleaners, such as vinegar, while granite tile needs a mild detergent with a pH-neutral formula to prevent discolouration. Moreover, most grout cleaners are acidic, so ensure to use a grout cleaner that’s safe for marble.
By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your natural stone tile floors remain pristine and free from damage.
How to Clean Terra Cotta Tile Floors?
Terra Cotta floor tiles are similar to ceramic tiles in that they’re made from natural earthen clays and fired until hard. However, unlike ceramic and porcelain tiles, terra cotta is created at a lower temperature and lacks surface glazing, resulting in a porous surface that’s vulnerable to staining if not properly maintained.
To keep your terra cotta tile floors looking their best, follow these tips:
- Vacuum or sweep the floor regularly to clear loose dirt and waste.
- Damp mop the floor weekly using mild soap and water, ensuring not to oversaturate the tiles.
- Stains can be removed using a mixture of oxalic acid and water, followed by a thorough rinse with a soft cloth.
- Avoid using acidic cleaners like ammonia or vinegar, as they can damage or discolour the tiles.
- Don’t use stiff brushes, especially wire brushes, as they can scratch the relatively soft terra cotta tiles.
- Consider applying a water-based sealant annually to protect your floors from stains and make cleaning easier.
Following these steps ensures that your terra cotta tile floors remain beautiful and durable for years.
How to Clean Concrete Floor Paving Tiles?
Floor paving tiles made from cement-based concrete are becoming famous in residential flooring due to their affordability and versatility in shades and styles. However, to keep them looking their best, regular cleaning is necessary. Here are some suggestions on how to clean and maintain concrete floor paving tiles:
- Start by sweeping or cleaning loose dirt and waste from the tiles.
- Mix a soft, non-acidic cleaning solution with warm water and damp mop the tiles. Moistening the tiles before cleaning with a flexible nylon brush is best.
- For tough stains, use a specialised concrete cleanser and a scrub brush. Avoid using wire brushes, acidic cleansers, or bleach, as they can damage the tiles.
- Rinse the tiles by damp mopping with clear water after scrubbing with the cleaning solution.
- Like other stone floor tiles, it’s advised to seal concrete pavers periodically with a high-quality concrete sealer. Apply it after the floor has been thoroughly cleaned and is completely dry.
By following these tips, you can keep your concrete floor paving tiles looking great for years to come.
How to Clean Quarry Tile Floors?
Quarry tile can be considered a type of engineered terra cotta. It is made from natural clay and crushed stone that is moulded and fired at a higher temperature than terra cotta, resulting in a tougher, tougher, water-resistant surface. To keep your quarry tile floors looking their best, follow these cleaning tips:
- For weekly cleaning, use a combination of soap and water. Rinse the floor thoroughly after cleaning to remove any soap residue.
- Use a stripping cleanser and a stiff-bristled brush for deep cleaning. While quarry tile is more resistant to colours than terra cotta, it’s still a good idea to seal it sometimes. Sealing will also help prevent grout lines from absorbing water and staining.
How to Clean Vinyl or Linoleum Tile Floors?
Maintaining the cleanliness of vinyl or linoleum tile floors is crucial to their longevity. Although using a steam mop might seem like a convenient option, it can damage the flooring due to its high heat and moisture. So instead, follow these cleaning tips to keep your vinyl or linoleum tiles looking new:
Vinyl: Start by sweeping the floor, then mop with a cleaning solution recommended by the manufacturer or a mixture of water and vinegar. Avoid using hard cleaners that can rub the surface.
Linoleum: After sweeping, clean with a linoleum-specific solution or a mixture of borax and water. Apply a coat of wax every three to six months and buff it to maintain the shine of the floor.
How Often to Clean Tile Floors?
To maintain a clean and residue-free appearance for your tiles, adhere to a regular cleaning routine involving both dry and wet cleaning processes.
For dry cleaning, vacuum or clean your tile floor at least once a week or whenever you notice visible waste or feel dirt underfoot. While any soft-bristle vacuum attachment will suffice for tile floors, reaching corners or closed spaces may be complex. You can use a hand broom and dustpan to do the job.
As for wet cleaning, you mop your kitchen tile floor every two weeks and your bathroom tile floor once a week, given that germs tend to accumulate more frequently in bathrooms. Additionally, spot-clean your grout every few months or as needed when it appears discoloured or dingy.
Cleaning and maintaining different types of floor tiles in India is essential to ensure their longevity and enhance their appearance. From porcelain and ceramic to natural stone and vinyl, each type of floor tile requires a specific cleaning process and regular maintenance routine.
Following the tips outlined in this blog, you can keep your floor tiles looking their best for years. With a little effort and awareness, you can keep your floor tiles in new condition and enjoy their beauty and durability for many years to come.
Looking for the best floor tiles for your house? Jindal Mechno Bricks is here to help you. So get the best high-quality different types of floor tiles from us and maintain them to beautify your abode.