If you are planning for roofing and your mind is in a conflict between clay tile vs concrete tile, then this blog will brief you about both. In the market, there are numerous roofing options available. The innumerable choices make it a more overwhelming task.
Both tiles are versatile in their own way, but let us find out the difference between them – to know which roof tiles are ahead in the race of preferences. Clay roof tiles are known for brick cladding elevations because these tiles offer a more intelligent alternative with a natural look and feel.
What are Clay Roof Tiles?
Natural clay is the main ingredient of clay roof tiles. The clays are molded at high temperatures to form tiles. The durability and density of the clay roof tiles depend on the duration they are heated. The high temperature helps to maintain the color of the tiles, and they do not fade. They come in different shapes, sizes, and colors: white, yellow, orange, and brown. They are the most durable and eco-friendly roofing options. However, there are many more benefits of using clay roof tiles.
Advantages of Clay Roof Tiles
- Clay roof tiles are built to be nearly indestructible and resistant to the elements, which gives them a longer lifespan than many other tiles.
- Clay tiles are fire and insect-resistant. This durability makes them attractive and perfect for structural reliability.
- It have air-free circulation to regulate rooftop temperatures, which helps maintain temperatures inside the home.
- Clay tiles maintain the roof’s integrity by withstanding the extreme hot and cold weather.
What are Concrete Roof Tiles?
Concrete Tiles are made from a mixture of sand, cement, and water in the required proportions and then molded into tiles on high heat and pressure. The finished surface of the concrete tiles can be painted or kept as it is. They are available in different types, like flat concrete tiles, small curve concrete, and large curve concrete tiles.
Advantages of Clay Roof Tiles
- Concrete tiles are durable and can handle pressures of up to 530 pounds.
- Concrete tiles are simple and easy to fabricate – a cost-effective perk passed on to customers.
- The concrete tile roof has a lifespan of around 50 to 70 and is impervious to damage from rot and insects.
- You can customise your concrete tiles according to the architectural style. You can choose from various styles, including flat, fluted, curved, or interlocking. Concrete roof tiles are also tinted, which will suit your color palette.
Are Clay Roof Tiles Better Than Concrete Roof Tiles?
We have a brief about Clay Roof Tiles and Concrete Roof Tiles. Let’s compare both tiles side by side to understand which is the better roof tile.
Clay roof tiles are much lighter than concrete roof tiles. If you want to use concrete tiles, you should ensure that the roof is structurally strong to handle the weight of these tiles.
Concrete roof tiles absorb more water than clay roof tiles. The higher water absorption of the concrete tiles makes them wet, resulting in more weight on the roof. On the other hand, clay roof tiles have less water retention, warding off all these issues.
Concrete tiles are challenging to maintain as they absorb more water. The absorption also affects the quality of the tiles. In comparison, clay roof tiles are free of all these issues and easy to maintain.
Colour and Durability
Clay is a naturally occurring material; hence, it can retain its color for years. It withstands all weather conditions and does not fade. However, concrete roof tiles fade over time, become stained, and lose appearance. Clay roof tiles are more durable than concrete roof tiles. Clay roof tiles last more than 100 years, and concrete tiles last 50 years. Clay roof tiles are most economical over time.
Prone To Cracks And Shatter
Clay tiles are typically seen in warmer locations since they have a propensity to break or crack when subjected to cold or thawing conditions. Contrarily, concrete tiles can withstand colder temperatures with ease. This climate resistance makes concrete tile safe to use in almost every climate.
It is evident why Indian homeowners prefer clay roof tiles over concrete tiles. They are the best building material in India for construction purposes. However, the durability of the clay tiles relies on the temperature used to mould them. Hence, choosing trustworthy manufacturers like Jindal Mechno Bricks Pvt Ltd gives you a smart option to choose from. We follow the latest technology to produce premium products and follow stringent quality checks.